Thursday, May 5, 2016

LOVE TODAY - Guest Designer, ANYTHING BUT CUTE




======


Howdy from Joi at the Ranch in Texas! 

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY...



I cannot begin to explain how completely honored
and totally excited I was to be invited to celebrate
with you all as a Guest Designer.  Wow.  

I remember well the announcement of the beginning of
Anything But Cute and how I anticipated the "date"
of that beginning, and the first challenge.  

I could be wrong, but I think I have submitted a project
for each and every challenge this past year.  And it has been 
such a blessing to me to get to know the spectacular
artists on the Anything But Cute Design Team. 

Just to say thank you... here is a little ditty for you! 
CONGRATULATIONS and Big HUGS. Joi@RR. 





===================================================

Anniversary Month.... 
Challenge Theme: Celebrate Your Style

Challenge Description: As we celebrate our First Anniversary, we want you to celebrate what you do best... mixed media! This is your chance to do it your way, in your favorite style... so pull out those inks and paints and show us what you're made of! You can make anything you want, just as long as it has some mixed media products on it and no cute images. HAVE FUN!

Here's my Guest Design - 1st Anniversary - Post!

It's spring in Texas and this little gal is in love with spring!
She's enjoys the warmth, the colors and the smells...
and she LOVES TODAY - lying in a field of wild flowers!! 

And yes... I WAS a flower child in the 60's/70's....
so humor me here!!!! OK!!!!!????
By the way... I used to cake on mascara in royal blue!!! 



Products Used:




After sketching in my gal I began working and honestly had no idea how she would turn out (as usual)!  For me, that's the fun of being an artist though... every day is different and every creation is a mystery until it is finished!!! 

This is a 16x20 wrapped canvas. 




I combined Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft Gelatos...
Cotton Candy and Bubble Gum -
to make a pastel purple! So easy and fun!!


 

Next came the addition of some "texture" with:
Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft Art Grip Aquarelle Pencils.



Using DecoArt Media Matte Medium and a brush,
the texture and colors melted together superbly. 



After I finished the background texture - I begin drawing free hand flowers... fun creating - with Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft Gelatos. 



I also continued to use the Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft Art Grip Aquarelles!   



Just couldn't resist using the Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft Whipped Spackle to continue to add flowers - it's so fluffy and lightly unique!

The stencils:
ARTplorations Bloom Factory
and
Prima Wild Flowers. 



Strategically placing the flowers here and there, the hope was that it would look like a field of wild flowers!  Have you ever totally stretched out in the middle of a bunch of flowers???  You should - it's very freeing, smells fabulous and the colors are stunning!! 



And then I pulled out one of my favorite products...
Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft Big Brush and Pitt Pens.
I don't think I have painted a single canvas without them...
(Pictured are the Pitt Pens but I also used the Big Brush!)



This is how she looked at one point in the process.... when I looked at this picture... I decided she looked like she had a beard. 
Heheheheheheheheh - oops!!!
So I added some more flowers at the bottom and other places as well as worked on the eyes. 




Using Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft Whipped Spackle - added more flowers - see the "white" ones below??!!!



And here is another stencil used from the Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft 101 Stencil Collection. 



Sure hope you can see the wonderful DecoArt Media Crackle Glaze that I used on all the circles. It made them soooo yummy topped off with some DecoArt Media Silver Metallic Lustre.  
Lots of Mixed Media goin' on here!!!! 

The "love today" words came from my stash. 
I am 99% sure they are by Heidi Swapp.



Here are some close up pictures of our gal "loving today" lazily relaxing in her field of wild flowers!









Again CONGRATULATIONS to
You should all be soooooooo proud. 
I'm proud of YOU too!!
"LOVE TODAY"
HUGS... and BEST Wishes for another FAB year!! j. 

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I am excited to share my 'Love Today Gal' with the:



=====


22 comments:

Pamellia said...

Oh Joi, I can't tell how tickled I am to read your post this morning!! Your canvas is beyond gorgeous, you have truly captured the spirit of our challenge by doing it just the way you wanted! You used your favourite products and techniques and the end result is a canvas that screams JOI!! The layers and colours and textures, oh my, how I love it! Just stunning, like all your work is!

Thank you so much for all your support this year, you are a wonderful friend and such a talented artist, I feel lucky to have met you! NOW, about that poem...a lump in my throat! May I display that in the sidebar on the ABC blog? I want to read it whenever I need a pick-me-up!

Thanks again for joining us at Anything But Cute to help us celebrate our one year blogiversary, you sure rocked it!! hugs :)

Vintagehandmade said...

Ooooooooooooh, Joi, what a poem! Oh, I am so impressed! What else I can say - you really rocked this challenge with your awesome piece of art! You made me smile! I love, love, love your bold colors! Thank you so much for all your support this year and for all your wonderful projects! You are such a super talented artist and I love all what you do in crafting!
Big hugs to you! Branka xx

Redanne said...

Joi, you really did make me smile! As another flower power, blue mascara gal of the 60's and 70's this face really does sing to me - stunning work, wonderful sketching and beautifully coloured. Your poem is sensational!! You are one talented lady and it is so lovely to have you as Guest Designer! Hugs, Anne xx

Julia Aston said...

Wow - what a beautiful, colorful and Joi-ous creation Joi! Your flowers are delightful with the colors and textures - framing your ladies face - quite stunning! And what a lovely poem you created for this special occasion! Julia xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I adore your gal with flowers in her hair! A teen in the 60's - I remember having false eyelashes at some point! The colours you have used here bring that time to mind! Wasn't it just THE best time to be young? Hugs, Chrisx

Juliz Design Post said...

Hi Joi, what a super poem to read. Your canvas is beautiful, fabulous colours and I'm loving her mascara on her eyes, a great quirky touch.
Julie x

sarascloset said...

What????I'm still wearing the blue mascara! Ha! Ha! heeeeee! Just kidding! but I DID! Does that make me a flower power girl? You bet cha! Still flower powering along!

Joi, you amaze me with your talents, your attention to detail, your love! And I love what you've done here with your painting--it screams JOI! Beautiful bold colors, shapes and textures! And I laughed so hard where you wrote OOOPS! Too funny! As for your poem--it is fantastic, and I'm so happy Pamellia is giving it a place of honor on the blog, so we can read it all the time!

Thank you so much for your love and support, not only at Anything But Cute, but throughout the blogging community! You are a true inspiration to so many! Biggest hugs and lots of love!

Lynne Moncrieff said...

I am so thrilled for you but not surprised that they asked you to be a Guest Designer!!!
This is an incredible piece of art, it is bursting with life and makes me feel so happy to look at it.
You are an astonishing artist.
Wishes
Lynne

Jane said...

Hi Joi what a wonderful flower girl...she's a stunner...love all the colours and textures xx

Lisa said...

Oh wow, this is absolutely gorgeous, Joi!! She's stunning!! I love the colors you used!! The flowers look amazing!! I loved seeing the progression of her taking shape, too!! What a spectacular project this is!! I'm so glad you joined in with our Anything But Cute celebration!! You did such an amazing job!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Pawsitively Creative said...

Dear Joi, you bring such a huge smile to my face! You are a treasure and a delight! Your lovely canvas is so very you: J-jubilant, O-outstandingly awesome, I-irreplaceable! There's my poem to you dearie. You have such a way with shapes, flowers and paints! Gorgeous design with so many wonderful mixed media products, makes my mouth water. BTW-I would totally love to see you in your blue eye shadow and some hairspray. Hehe!

So happy you are one of our Favorite Artists and thank you so very much for all of the amazing designs your have entered and also for making us laugh, not only for Anythig But Cute, but for myself as well. Hugz to you muffin! ~Niki

Unknown said...

Joi what an amazing kick off for the ABC anniversary post. Very well deserved and what an awesome tribute. Excellent Tutorial and gorgeous piece!

Deb said...

What an amazing canvas Joi, fabulous colours and layers, a joy (Joi!) to behold! Thanks so much for sharing it and congratulations on being one of ABC's favourite artists of the year! Deb xo

Brenda Brown said...

Oh Joi congratulations on your well deserved accolade, you never cease to amaze me with your amazing art and this canvas is no exception. I love the wonderful face surrounded by those beautiful flowers and I too remember the 60s and adored the 70s when I went off to college and met and married my dear hubbie. Those were the days lol. Thanks for sharing your inimitable style and being the lovely lady that you are too. Huge hugs xxxx

Cec said...

Now that is the epitome of a Flower Child. I love your lovely lady with her super long eye lashes (I am jealous) and all the flowers surrounding her are fantastic. I wish I could be the artist you are and draw/paint with abandon and have it turn out so well. Congrats on your Guest Designer spot.
Hugs!
Cec

Words and Pictures said...

I was sure I'd been here to say a huge Hurrah for your spotlit GD moment, so well-deserved. And what a stunning piece of art you created for it. Colours and textures that just knock your socks off.
Alison x

SewPaperPaint said...

I am absolutely thrilled to see you strut your stuff in celebration of our anniversary! It is such an honor to have you create for us. Thanks so much for your inspiration, encouragement, and creativity! Hugs from all of us at Anything But Cute. <3

Electra said...

This is magical!

Karen Petitt said...

It's gorgeous Joi and you breathed courage into me so I drew and painted a face for the ABC challenge - first time I have successfully painted one with acrylics too! Thanks for the inspiration and courage too Karen x

Sue said...

Wow Joi, what can I say - this is amazing! The colours and textures are so lush, and the words fit in perfectly. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Country View Crafts, and have a fun weekend. Sue xx

Monika Gulyas said...

Another amazing canvas from you, Joi!!! Breathtaking!!! The colours and the flowers, oh my god!!! I utterly love it!!!

Craftyfield said...

A wild child from 60s... Very hippy vibe! Great work with all the colours and stencilled bits. Thank you for joining us at Country View Challenges.